Not Our Usual Routine


My morning routine starts with me waking up at around 5 o’clock in the morning. I would usually jog around our compound and have breakfast with my husband after jogging. One morning, I woke up with a really bad itch under my armpits. So, I hurriedly went straight to the bathroom for a quick shower thinking that it will alleviate it. The level of the itchiness lessened, but it did not totally go away. I tried ignoring it for almost one week and it was itching constantly. I told my husband about it and he asked me to check for ingrown hairs. When I checked both my right and left armpits, I saw a few red bumps on each side with hairs that curled around and grew back on the skin. I googled up things that I can do to treat it. I have read that I need to exfoliate it and put warm compress on the affected area. These will help remove dead skin cells, dirt and oil and soften the skin. After following these instructions for about four days, the condition of my armpits significantly improved. I happily told my husband about it and he was also glad that the itchiness already went away as he knew it has been bugging me for some time now.

Ironically, he shared with me that he was having right arm pain since last week. He thought it was because of the heavy luggage bags he carried around when he helped our staff when there were a lot of guests checking in last week. We thought of other things that might have caused it, but we could not think of any. He shared with me that he already took pain reliever medications and iced his arm, but it did not help much. So, we decided to consult our doctor just to be sure that it’s nothing serious. We called Dr. Carrey’s secretary to book an appointment the next morning, but his schedule was full. The secretary told us that the next available appointment is still after three days, but she assured us that she would give us a call when one of his patients cancels their appointment. I could not get it off my mind so I called the secretary again to check with the doctor if I can give him a call to consult my husband’s condition. Fortunately, Dr. Carrey agreed for a phone consultation after his clinic hours.

During our conversation, I told him that I am scared that it might be a symptom of a serious illness such as hypertension and the likes. He told me that my husband would be fine as long as he takes the necessary precautions. The doctor advised my husband to lessen his alcohol intake and tobacco smoking until after the full blood work-up to determine his cholesterol level. He also added that he should start eating healthier food like veggies, fruits and white meat to improve his overall condition. I told my husband with the Dr. Carrey said and he told me that he would try his best to follow all the doctor’s orders.